Stacie

Bookish Thoughts

I love reading! I read books about anything, any time, any place.

Nessa: A Breeders Story by Katie French

Nessa: A Breeders Story - Katie French

This a short novella linked to 'The Breeders' by Katie French.

I haven't read The Breeders yet, I read this first to see if I liked the idea - it was free on my Kindle Fire too!

Synopis taken from GoodReads;

Eighteen-year-old Nessa knows what it’s like to be an endangered species. Grown up in a dying world where nine out of ten babies are born male, she survives by trusting no one. When Marlin, the nineteen-year-old gunslinger with the sky-blue eyes, kills the man who has been keeping her enslaved, Nessa decides this handsome stranger might be her meal ticket. What she doesn’t realize is love is still possible, even in their decimated world. When Nessa discovers she’s pregnant with Marlin’s child, her difficult life now teeters on a knife’s edge. Can she bear to bring a child into their shattered world? Better yet, can Marlin keep them safe from those that hunt Nessa?

This book was brilliant! It is creepy and unusual and I love the world that the author has created. It does give away a few elements of the story although these have only served to intrigue me, I will be buying The Breeders very soon! The author creates a world in which women are pretty much an endangered species, they run away and hide from men because they are threatened and used.

Although this sounds like a dark and devastating concept, it is written fantastically! I got really sucked in and felt Nessa's pain and sorrow immediately. I felt her terror, shame and constant desire for freedom.

I would definitely recommend this book if you want something new in the YA Dystopian, Sci-fi genre. It is intended for adult and mature teen readers. A brilliant, short read that definitely left me wanting to know more!