Stacie

Bookish Thoughts

I love reading! I read books about anything, any time, any place.

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey | Review

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) - Rick Yancey

“Some things you can never leave behind. They don't belong to the past. They belong to you.”

I read this book because of the hype built up surrounding it on BookTube. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't absolutely love it.

I thought Cassie was a kick-ass female heroine, although she was quite whiney and annoying in places. Her relationship during the novel - I won't give too much away - became quite frustrating for me, maybe because I worked out the truth very quickly. Or maybe it was purposely written this way to portray the importance of relationships to someone who has lost many, in a short space of time? I just found the love interest a little clingy and too much for me.

I loved the character of Zombie and his side of the story. I thought this was portrayed really well and it was particularly interesting to have a female and male heroine throughout the novel. Sammy's character was adorable, broke my heart in places - his vulnerability and innocence was conveyed beautifully.

I read this in two separate chunks, I read half before we got married - then finished it whilst on Honeymoon. I think this affected my enjoyment to be honest, it meant that I wasn't 100% focused on the novel - I aim to re-read it in the future.

Overall, I would recommend this book. It is different from the other YA dystopian books out there - dealing with an alien apocalypse with a brilliant twist. The characters and plot are well defined, with enough action for you adrenalin junkies out there. Give it a read, I am pretty sure you will enjoy it!

Have you read this, or is on your TBR shelf? Did you feel the same and Cassie's romance?