Stacie

Bookish Thoughts

I love reading! I read books about anything, any time, any place.

Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

"Love doesn't mean anything if you're not willing to make a commitment, and you have to think not only about what you want, but about what he wants. Not just now, but in the future."

This is the first Nicholas Sparks book I have read, I will definitely be reading more of his novels after this!

This book has an underlying, emotional darker story. The way the author deals with this is fantastic. I found myself routing for the main protagonists, wanting to keep reading to see if they got their happy ending. There are scenes in this book which disturbed me, Sparks has an amazing way of making you feel the pain and sorrow of a character. His writing style really drew me in and made me want to keep reading.

The sadness of losing a loved one was also conveyed brilliantly whilst keeping the sentimental elements in place. The last part of this novel was a surprise to me, I did not see it coming at all. It was a thought provoking way to deal with loss and the inevitability of moving on. I understand that this novel has now been made into a film, it would be interesting to see how they portray the darker side of this book on screen.

I am intending to pick up The Notebook next. I love the film and I hope the book is just as good.