Stacie

Bookish Thoughts

I love reading! I read books about anything, any time, any place.

The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides

The Virgin Suicides: Reissued - Jeffrey Eugenides

"Basically what we have here is a dreamer. Somebody out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly."

I read this book after watching a review via the BookTubing community. I wasn't sure what to expect, although the review raved about it, now I understand why.

This book is fantastic, brilliant yet unusual. Disturbing yet fascinating. I couldn't put it down. Jeffrey Eugenides writes in the most beautiful way, his prose is astonishing. He made the most grimmest of scenes utterly breathtaking.

A book that deals with teenage suicide, of not just one but five girls, you'd think would be very morbid and depressing. In a way it is. But, the narrative style makes you truly believe what you are reading is true. A slightly obsessive nature, creates a compelling storyteller.

The lives of five girls are captured through the minute detail of the boys in the neighbourhood. Through observation and longing, they depict the events as they unfold. Not only do they focus on how the events affect individuals, but how it can also affect an entire community.

I truly feel that this book should be a must-read, something of a contemporary classic.

I will definitely be picking up Middlesex and The Marriage Plot in the near future.